Sunday, September 30, 2007

Hanging in There

Kate has made it through the difficult part of the treatment without any glitches so far! For the last 2 weeks I have had to give her a shot a day for 4 days and then have 3 days of rest. Tonight was our last shot and she is particularly happy about that! All in all she did very well with the shots. Her only request was, "can I scream when you give me the shot." Hey, I'm used to children screaming in the ER so it didn't bother me one bit and it helped her to get through the pain. Our routine - that little trooper would sit up on my bathroom counter and choose which arm or leg she wanted the shot in. We'd clean the area, inject the cytarabine into the site and apply a Hello Kitty band aid. After a few more minutes of crying we'd head downstairs to the kitchen for the very important post procedure treat! :)
Kate's visit to the clinic last week was pretty benign. Her blood counts were trending downward (as expected) but weren't too bad. It is hard to believe that she may need blood and platelet transfusions this Thursday but the doctor is pretty confident that she will. I guess these combined medications just wipe out the bone marrow. We are so grateful that Kate has remained healthy despite being in the most difficult phase AND having had a sister at home with croup and conjunctivitis! Those prayers have got to be helping us out.

Just a picture of our 2 squinty eyed cuties!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Cuties, for sure! I wish I could just give you both a big hug. We miss you so much! Sarah and Abby spent the afternoon making stuff to send you so be watching in the mail!

We love AND miss you,
Anne

Kari said...

So glad to hear that her treatment is going as well as it is. You are all so incredibly strong. Will continue to pray for all of you. Love to see their smiling faces :)

BIGSKYBLAST said...

Hug, Hug, BIG HUG TO GET BOTH OF YOU AT ONCE!

Kate, hang in there girl. You're doing great. Grandma is looking forward to seeing you in just another month! It will go really fast.

Good for you to help Mom give you all those nasty sticks. I know she didn't like doing it. Keep up the good work.

Moss & Fern Cottage said...

Love you !!

BIG hug... little hug.. BIG kiss... little kiss :) (Nacho Libre)

Love Deb

Allison said...

What a brave girl! And your little guys are just so cute! Glad to hear that everyone is doing well and hanging in there!

Kasey said...

Kate - I like to scream when I get a shot, too. I got an allergy shot in my arm today and I screamed on the inside because it was the nurse that doesn't know how to stick! You're such a tough little girl! Keep it up!

Unknown said...

you are my heroes, Kate and Carolyn.
I love you
Angela

anne-ross said...

LOVE the bald 'dos! so cute :) i'm thinking about you guys today!