Thursday, August 16, 2007

TNT Kick-Off

Last night Kate and I went to my first TNT (Team in Training) meeting for the Disney Marathon. Kate as the team honored hero and I as a lowly runner. It is hard to come up with the words to describe how amazing the night was. A cancer survivor spoke to us, truly speaking from the heart about how research and new medications saved his life. I am sure that every person in the room was moved by his personal story and the realization that every blood cancer patient has their own story too.

The TNT staff asked me to bring Kate to the meeting so that our team could meet her and she loved every minute of our 2 and 1/2 hours there. The coach, coaching assistant, mentor and team captain were so amazing with Kate. They dressed up in Disney costumes, played games with her and generally spent the entire evening getting to know her. Barb (Tinkerbell) also gave her a "magic wand" and taught her how to use it properly to ensure the her wishes would come true. (Word has it that Barb is making sure that Kate's wish for her own Minnie Mouse dress comes true). Seeing Kate surrounded by complete strangers who were all pulling for her and for so many others with leukemia brought tears to my eyes.

If I was excited about the race before, I am ecstatic now. In other news, I have found out that if anyone else wants to run the marathon or 1/2 marathon at Disney they can train with any local TNT group and run with our team on race day! Would that be a blast?!!!! I'll take as many of you as I can get. I'll also take your donations but don't worry I'll be hitting you up for them shortly. :)
:)
Kate and Tinkerbell, (Barb) my coaching assistant. They have already totally hit it off.





All of the crazy Disney Crew! I think
that it will be nearly impossible NOT to have fun with these ladies.





Kate was totally spoiled with a massage. Cutest thing in the world to see. Who knew a 5 year old could appreciate something so luxurious!

6 comments:

Kari said...

Sounds like an amazing experience! So proud of your for the dedication to run a marathon and thrilled that Kate gets to be the team hero ... she really is a hero! Please let me know when you are fundraising. I'm also donating to a friend who is doing the Nike Women's Marathon in San Francisco with TNT as well. What a fantastic organization!!

Allison said...

What a great experience for both of you. I love the photos and have to laugh at the photo of kate getting a massage. Too cute! I'm just so amazed by your little family.

Kasey said...

Way to go Carolyn and Kate! You guys rock!

the andersons said...

Go Carolyn and Kate!

Moss & Fern Cottage said...

You both are such a great inspiration to us all. As always, you are in my prayers.

And as a massage therapist, I know how important body work is and esp. for kids and babies... they LOVE it :) It's so cute that she's too tiny to SIT in the chair and has to stand up. What a sweetie.

Anonymous said...

I loved reading this entry in your blog! Kate is such a cutie, it's no surprise everyone loved her at the meeting!

I'm so proud of you, Carolyn... and Kate, too!!!

Love,
Anne