Monday, November 19, 2007

Another Fever - November 15th

I have FINALLY begun to listen to Kate and trust her instincts when it comes to her body. This morning I told her get dressed for school and when I went to check on her, I found her laying on the bathmat in her bathroom. She told me that she wasn't feeling well and that she had a headache. Uh-oh...fever, was my first thought but she only had a 99.3 temp and didn't seem too ill. Nevertheless, I did keep her home because I can be taught from previous experiences! We went to Jackson's school for the Thanksgiving lunch and over the course of the hour and 1/2 she began feeling worse.
We left and when I rechecked her temperature at home it was 102 degrees. Bummer. Well Double Bummer really because Jason left for 5 days yesterday so we were on our own today. Thanks to Angela and Beth, some quick responding friends, Jackson and Ava were taken care of so I could take Kate to the ER for the obligatory 5 hour visit including a chest x-ray, blood counts and IV antibiotics. We were eventually granted a pass home after Kate's ANC resulted an amazing 5,000. We were all stunned but it is very good because it means that her body was trying to fight the infection.
Boy was I grateful to be going home to my children and not sentenced to 48 hours of IV antibiotics. She is sleeping in my bed tonight so that I can keep an eye on her but isn't looking too bad - especially after Tylenol.

No comments: